Embark on a treasure quest, explore the great outdoors and get lots of exercise with the fun and engaging family activity of Letterboxing. Letterboxing is a treasure hunt to find hidden boxes all over the United States.
Basically, letterboxers from all over hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places and post clues to finding the box online on one a host of websites. Interestingly enough, clues to finding as a resultme of the most highly as a resultught after boxes are found by word of mouth.
Letterboxes usually contain a log book, an often hand-carved rubber stamp and an ink pad. Upon discoextremely, those on the letterboxing quest can make an imprint of the letterbox’s stamp on their peras a resultnal log book, and leave an imprint of their peras a resultnal stamp on the letterbox’s log book . If you check out the website below, you’ll be amazed at the amount of boxes in your area! just waiting to be uncovered.
- log book (memo pad)
- peras a resultnal stamp
- ink pad
- a simple compass
- Printed clues from the website
- Optional: Bug spray & sunscreen
How to Do It
- Print off the clues for the box you desire to search for. Be careful while searching though….you desire to be discreet, especially if there are people around!
- When you find your treasure, simply stamp their book and use their stamp to stamp yours. I always write a short note and the date in the books as well.
- Additionally, we find it fun to snap a picture of the kids with the box for our peras a resultnal log book.
- When rehiding the box, make sure you hide it accomplishly and precisely where you found it and make sure you seal up all bags as a result it maintains the integrity that it had when you located it, as a result as not to spoil it for others or as a resultil what is inside.